Lovely Quotes

A closed mouth gathers no foot. - My Dad

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. - My Mom

I’ll lift you and you lift me and we'll both ascend together. - John Greenleaf Whittier

If you ever get lonely you just go to the record store and visit your friends. - Penny Lane

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom. – Anais Nin

This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness. - Dalai Lama

When the student is ready, the master appears. - Buddhist Proverb

Whatever you look for in others tends to rise to the surface. - Unknown

If you’re smilin with the cosmos the motherfuckin cosmos is smiling back at ya. - Chris Robinson

Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful. - Buddha


February 4, 2013

House of Flies

Some people fight crime, some people fight fires, some people fight for animal rights and human rights...I fight flies.  I do fight for animal rights too though.

A while back my BFF Heidi and I were sitting on my couch when we noticed there were some strange little rat turd looking things in front of my fireplace.  We picked them up and did a full scale examination on them, breaking one open and conducting a seemingly endless search on Google images, before coming to the conclusion that they were fly pupae.  Fly pupae.  I had no idea how they got there so I just chucked them in the trash and went on with my fabulous life.  I should let you know right now that my fireplace is non-functional.  It's been closed off with some fiberglass looking shit and a piece of board.  It is for decoration purposes only.



Well, fast forward 3 weeks to this past weekend.  I walk into my house on Thursday and what do I see?  An abundance of flies all over the place.  There were at least 10 on my curtains.  They were in the windows.  I saw a couple on my furniture.  Oh my God it was so disgusting.  Because I haven't seen a fly swatter since like 1990, I ran around killing them with a magazine.  Fly carcasses everywhere.  I felt like my house was infected, like it was a holding cell for nasty dirty fly diseases...Encephalitis, Salmonella, HIV, whatever else the little fuckers carry around.

Okay, I am well aware that flies are not transmitters of the aforementioned diseases, but when you come home and find a village of them in your house, you start to feel as though the plague is knocking on your door.  

Yeah, so, the next night - SAME THING.  Fly killing mad woman on the loose.  I finally had to call my bug guy and he came over and sprayed the hell out of the fireplace area.  He told me that something must have died way up high in there because there was no smell of death in the house. I was so incredibly grateful for this.  The no smell part that is.  Apparently, the poor little animal that had passed away in my chimney was almost gone.  It was no longer droppin pupae, it was droppin full on flies!

So for the rest of the weekend I had to deal with a few more of the little buzzers here and there, but then that was that and they were gone.  

Now, because I believe that something positive comes from all experiences, there was a silver lining, even to this little fiasco.  Obviously I had to do a serious vacuum job to eliminate all the dead fly bodies, and after that was done, I totally rearranged my living room furniture and I absolutely love it.  LOVE IT.  I wish I would have done it years ago but hey, regret is a useless emotion.  I am so very thankful for my happy, fly free, newly decorated home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment